Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Week 7 Lancaster Farm Fresh CSA

Week 7 Lancaster Farm Fresh CSA


Well it is week 7 and this is the moment I have been waiting for - the first tomatoes of the season!  They are big beautiful red & orange slicing tomatoes.  Oddly, we had 3 shareholders not pick up their share without a heads up... but lucky for me a got a few extra tomatoes & string beans out of it.  The rest of the box contained:

2 lemon cucumbers – certified organic – Elm Tree Organics
1 head green cabbage – certified organic – Green Valley Organics
4 green zucchini – certified organic – Bellview and Rolling Ridge Organics
1 bag red and yellow slicing tomatoes – certified organic – Green Valley Organics
1 bag pickling cucumbers – certified organic – Meadow Brook Organics
1 bag mini-white cucumbers – transitional – Liberty Branch Farm

I also  bought some mint to make some mint iced tea and this drink a friend posted a link to.

It was a long hot day at the CSA pick up site.  I enjoyed the moments I had in the big walk-in fridge.  Today in Philly we hit 102 degrees Fahrenheit.  The whole day I was dreading schlepping all my stuff home from the market.  By time I got home I was schvitzing so bad I was dripping.  It doesn't help matters that I am having air conditioning issues the last couple days.
Today's Yiddish lesson is a two-fer - SCHLEPPING & SCHVITZING.  Schlepping is to lug or carry something, usually heavy, awkward, and/or laborious.  Schvitzing is sweating.  You can also go for a schvitz in a steam room.
Tomorrow I'll be putting up more pickles!  I've got lots and lots of pickles pickling.  In the couple weeks I'll have reports on all the different pickles I am making.  I am experiment with lots of different herbs, spices, and peppers.  Good thing I found those canning jars on sale this holiday weekend when I was shopping with my mom.  I am going to fill them up fast and may need more soon.

Ess Eppis!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Amy

    I love this time of year!! all the great fruits and veggies....were lucky in Collingswood to have our own little farmers market!

    I'm Glad to have found your blog, Its nice to talk to locals!
    All the best
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. fresh veggies are always awesome. what are u gona can?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you got some great produce :) I just printed out your limonana recipe -- we have lots of mint growing. Our lemon tree produced a bunch this year, but since we're in Calif. it produces mainly in Jan./Feb. so I'd better go buy some. Thanks for the great recipe. It looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete