My personal preference is just topping my crackers with cracked pepper & kosher salt. I've made theses a couple times and have some tips for anyone doing them:
- I roll the dough between two pieces of plastic wrap sprinkled lightly with whole wheat flour.
- After I sprinkle the salt & pepper on, I replace the top plastic sheet and roll the rolling pin back over a couple times lightly. This way the topping does not come off when moving it to the cookie sheet or cooking.
- Do not forget to poke the dough with a fork before baking. You can not over poke it. This is what keeps it cracker like and not puff up on you.
- I do not have to add anything to keep them from sticking when I use my silpat. This is a silicon sheet to lay in the baking sheet - it is simply amazing & I use for nearly everything.
- Do not do ANYTHING else while these are baking. It is less than one minute between done & charcoal. I use a timer. Five minutes when they first go in. Then turn the pan & another 2 minutes - but this is MY oven, watch yours closely!
So now I can curl up in my apartment all warmed up from my oven and snack on my homemade crackers and hummus while watching the snow fall during the snowiest winter Philly has ever seen.